Prof. Paul A. Wiggins
Department of Physics
University of Washington
Physics and Astronomy Building, room B409
Office hours will be Wednesday 3:00-4:00pm, PAB B409.
Class meeting times and location:
Thursday 2:30-4:20 pm in PAA A114
Goals of the course:
• Explore a research topic in physics in depth
• Learn to give a cogent talk
• Learn to write a scientific paper
• Learn how to interact with your colleagues on a scientific topic during class discussion
• Learn about many interesting topics in modern physics through student presentations
• Select a research topic in physics
• Submit a research proposal abstract.
• Do literature research on your topic (after your abstract has been approved)
• Give an in-class talk.
• The talk format will be 10/2 minutes for the presentation/questions.
• See resource on how to give a presentation here.
• Prepare a scientific research paper on your chosen topic.
• Draft manuscript
• Final manuscript
There is no final exam. 0.0 will be given to anyone not completing both their paper and presentation.
• Participation in class discussions is required and hence you should attend.
• You are encouraged to attend the Physics Colloquium, Mondays at 4 pm in room A102. The colloquia intended to be understandable talks about topics at the forefront of physics. Here is the Physics Colloquium schedule .
• Start your longer assignments early (report and presentation). These always takes longer than expected. The quality of your research will depend on the depth and breadth of the paper you read and understood. This preparation will take most of your time but may excite your scientific curiosity.
• Begin preparing your paper as early as possible.
|9/27||Introduction to Research|
|10/4||Abstract, title and capitalization|
|10/11||Figures and captions|
|11/1||How to write a paper I|
|11/8||How to write a paper II|
|11/15||Class presentations I|
|11/29||Class presentations II|
|12/6||Class presentations III|
|Alyousef, Jassem Ali|
|Jeffery, Dylan Patrick|
|Lim, Kelvin H|
|Nguyen, Jason Tin|
|Subedi, Om N|
|Thomas, Jeremy Robert|
|Trinh, Thien Bao|
|Yhann, Samir Anthony|