You will use the MasteringPhysics online homework system and Learning Catalytics in-class quiz system for the introductory physics courses. These need to be connected to the course Canvas page for you to get credit, so follow the instructions below carefully to minimize problems.
Before starting note that you need an access code.
Phys 114, 115, 116: You have already purchased the access code as a part of your registration fee. Your instructor will provide you with an access code, which is typically found on the syllabus page for your course.
Phys 121, 122, 123: You need to purchase an access code. Please see 12x required material.
Connecting to MasteringPhysics
Please note before starting that you need to allow pop-ups and cookies. If you have problems, check out the troubleshooting section at the end of these instructions.
You should have your access code handy (see section title “Access Codes” above), but you do not need a course ID. If you are prompted for a course ID, you are doing something wrong, so please follow the procedure below carefully.
- Sign in to your Canvas course.
- Select “MyLab & Mastering” in the Course Navigation on the left of the Canvas page (highlighted blue in image below). Then select “Open MyLab & Mastering” at the top of the Canvas page (highlighted yellow in the image below).
- A new tab or window should open in your browser. If it does not, check that you have enabled popups. In the new window, you may be asked to accept the terms and conditions. After that you should see something like the image below.
- Enter your Pearson account username and password to link accounts. You have an account if you have ever used a Pearson MyLab & Mastering product, such as MyMathLab, MyITLab, MySpanishLab, MasteringBiology or MasteringPhysics. If you don’t have a Pearson account, select Create and follow the instructions.
- Do one of the following (for Phys 114, 115, and 116 only select option a. as you have an access code as part of the course)
- a. Enter your access code (see section title “Access Codes” above)
- b. Buy access using a credit card or PayPal account
- c. Get temporary access by selecting the link near the bottom of the page
Here is a useful video that may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sPttXvkkdU
Troubleshooting access to MasteringPhysics
Make sure your computer meets the system requirements: http://www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com/system-requirements/
Go here to find solutions to many common problems: http://help.pearsoncmg.com/mylabmastering/canvas/student/en/index.html
Contact a Pearson representative for further help.
Connecting to Learning Catalytics
- First ensure you have connected to MasteringPhysics following the instructions in the section titled “Connecting to MasteringPhysics” above.
- Follow steps 1 and 2 in the section titled “Connecting to MasteringPhysics” above to open up a MyLab and Mastering website.
- Click on the link in the top right-hand corner that says "Learning Catalytics". Follow the setup instructions.
After the above procedure, you should be able to go directly to www.learningcatalytics.com during class and click on the active session.
Troubleshooting access to Learning Catalytics
If you selected option b. at step 4 in the section titled “Connecting to MasteringPhysics” above, and from there you selected the cheaper option, then this does not come with the etext or Learning Catalytics. You have the following two options:
- Upgrade to the option with the etext and Learning Catalytics following these instructions (PDF).
- Purchase Learning Catalytics independently. I have been told this works by a student, but I am not sure on exactly how this works.