Adopted 05 June 2019
As members of the Department of Physics, the University of Washington and the global scientific enterprise, we share a responsibility to act ethically and professionally. We strive to conduct ourselves in a professional manner that is welcoming to all and free from any form of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation. Our department values and welcomes individuals of diverse identities and characteristics.†
We recognize our individual and collective obligations to be truthful and to treat each other with respect. We strive to create a collegial, considerate, inclusive, and professional environment in our classrooms, research labs, offices, and online. We are cognizant of the particular obligation to model appropriate behavior during interactions that involve the inherent power differentials among department members.
Creating a supportive environment to foster academic and scientific progress and ensuring that all members of the department have access to a safe working and learning environment is a collective responsibility. Should unprofessional or inappropriate actions or comments be observed or experienced, direct intervention calling attention to the problematic behavior is often the best response. If that does not feel appropriate or safe, one should contact Physics Student Services, one’s supervisor, the Physics Ombud, and/or SafeCampus to help determine and effect an appropriate response.
†These include, but are not limited to, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, family background, religion, and marital, parental, veteran and ability status.
- UW Physics Student Services https://phys.washington.edu/advising-student-services-0
- UW Physics Committee Charges and Membership https://phys.washington.edu/committee-descriptions
- UW Safe Campus (206-685-SAFE) https://depts.washington.edu/safecamp/
- UW Ombud https://www.washington.edu/ombud/
- UW Compliance and Risk Services (includes Title IX, University Complaint Investigation, ADA Coordinator) https://www.washington.edu/crs/
- UW Community Standards and Student Conduct https://www.washington.edu/cssc/
- UW Academic Human Resources Complaint Resolution
- UW Policy Directory http://www.washington.edu/admin/rules/policies/index.shtml
- UW Guide to Ethics Policies https://fa.uw.edu/audit/content/guide-ethics-policies
- WAC Governing UW Academic Conduct: Student (478-121) and General (478-124)
- American Physical Society Guidelines on Ethics https://www.aps.org/policy/statements/19_1.cfm
- American Physical Society Policy on Equal Professional Opportunity https://www.aps.org/policy/statements/94_3.cfm