Dr. Steven R. Spurgeon is a research scientist in the Energy and Environment Directorate at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, with an affiliate appointment as an Associate Professor of Physics at the University of Washington. He serves as thrust lead for the PNNL’s Chemical Dynamics Initiative and is editor for the international journal Microscopy and Microanalysis. His work focuses on developing artificial intelligence and machine learning approaches to accelerate the synthesis, characterization, and modeling of nanomaterials for next-generation electronics, quantum computing, and energy storage. He has published over 56 journal articles and book chapters and has received awards from the U.S. Department of Energy, the National Science Foundation, the Materials Research Society, the Microscopy Society of America, and the U.S. Department of Defense. Prior to joining PNNL, he received his Ph.D. in Materials Science from Drexel University and his B.S. in Materials Science from Carnegie Mellon University.
- Doty, C., Gallagher, S., Cui, W., Chen, W., Bhushan, S., Oostrom, M., Akers, S., and S.R. Spurgeon. “Design of a graphical user interface for few-shot machine learning-based classification of electron microscopy data.” Computational Materials Science. 203.15 (2022): 111121. DOI:10.1016/j.commatsci.2021.111121
- Akers, S., Kautz, E., Trevino-Gavito, A., Olszta, M., Matthews, B., Wang, L., Du, Y., and S.R. Spurgeon. “Rapid and flexible segmentation of electron microscopy data using few-shot machine learning.“ npj Computational Materials. 7 (2021): 187. DOI:10.1038/s41524-021-00652-z
- Matthews, B., Sassi, M., Barr, C., Ophus, C., Kaspar, T., Jiang, W., Hattar, K., and S.R. Spurgeon. “Percolation of ion-irradiation-induced disorder in complex oxide interfaces.” Nano Letters. 21.12 (2021): 5353–5359. DOI:10.1021/acs.nanolett.1c01651
- Spurgeon, S.R., Ophus, C., Jones, L., Petford-Long, A., Kalinin, S.V., Olszta, M.J., Dunin-Borkowski, R., Salmon, N., Hattar, K., Yang, W-C.D., Sharma, R., Du, Y., Chiaramonti, A., Zheng, H., Buck, E.C., Kovarik, L., Penn, R.L., Li, D., Zhang, X., Murayama, M., and M.L. Taheri. “Towards data-driven next-generation transmission electron microscopy.” Nature Materials. 20 (2021): 274–279. DOI:10.1038/s41563-020-00833-z
- S.R. Spurgeon. “Order-disorder behavior at thin film oxide interfaces.” Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science. 24.6 (2020): 100870. DOI:10.1016/j.cossms.2020.100870
- Spurgeon, S.R. and S.A. Chambers. “Atomic-scale characterization of oxide interfaces and superlattices using scanning transmission electron microscopy.” Encyclopedia of Interfacial Chemistry: Surface Science and Electrochemistry, Elsevier. (2018) 38–48. DOI:10.1016/B978-0-12-409547-2.12877-X
- Spurgeon, S.R. “Scanning transmission electron microscopy of oxide interfaces and heterostructures.” In S.A. Chambers (Ed.), Materials Characterization Methods for Epitaxial Films and Heterostructures. (2022). World Scientific Publishing. In press.