Fields of Interest
My research in theoretical particle physics focuses on theories beyond the Standard Model and on creating new ideas and directions for testing these theories. This includes new physics that solves outstanding puzzles in our existing models which may be tested in colliders or in precision experiments; pinning down the particle nature of dark matter using astrophysical observations and in the lab; and the the broader intersection of particle theory with astroparticle physics and cosmology. I am currently pursuing the theoretical development of new precision searches for light dark matter candidates, as well as of searches for new ultralight particles with black holes and gravitational waves.
Born in Kharkiv, Ukraine, I moved to the U.S. in middle school. Before arriving at the University of Washington I was a Banting Postdoctoral Fellow at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics and a James Arthur Postdoctoral Fellow at the Center for Cosmology and Particle Physics at New York University.
See inspire for a complete list of publications.
Selected recent talks:
- Aspen Center for Physics Colloquium: “Searching for New Particles in the Sky”, August 2021
- Axions Beyond Gen 2, University of Washington: “Black holes and axions: from gravitational waves to axionic beacons”, Jan 2021
- TRIUMF Science Week, TRIUMF: “Discoveries at the Precision Frontier”, Aug. 2020
- BSM PANDEMIC Seminar: "Searching for Ultralight Axions with Black Holes and Gravitational Waves", May 2020
- Quantum Information Science for Fundamental Physics, Aspen Center for Physics: “Axion and Gravitational Waves from Black Hole Superradiance”, Feb. 2020
- Next Frontiers in the Search for Dark Matter, Galileo Galilei Institute: “Axion and Dark Photon Detection with Dielectric Haloscopes” Oct. 2019
- New Directions in the Search for Light Dark Matter Particles, Fermilab: “Optical Haloscopes”, Apr. 2019
Join the group:
If you have been accepted into the UW PhD program and are interested in joining the group, please contact me.
News & Events
- Physics Department: UW Physics Slam 2023 (Physics Slammers (See description for more info)) - January 21, 2023 - 8:00pm
- Physics Department: Summiting the Unknown: New Physics, Celebrating the Legacy of Ann Nelson (Various Speakers) - July 16, 2022 - 9:00am
- Physics Department: Summiting the Unknown: New Physics, Celebrating the Legacy of Ann Nelson (Various Speakers) - July 15, 2022 - 9:00am
- Physics Department: Summiting the Unknown: New Physics, Celebrating the Legacy of Ann Nelson (Various Speakers) - July 14, 2022 - 8:00am
- CENPA: Black holes and axions: from gravitational waves to axionic beacons (Masha Baryakhtar, University of Washington) - March 14, 2022 - 2:30pm