The department utilizes UW Managed Print Services (MPS) program (https://finance.uw.edu/c2/mps/home ) to provide significant printing, copying, and scanning resources for students, faculty, and staff. We have provided this because:
- Faculty have repeatedly requested color printing and high-speed scanning
- Washington State Substitute Bill 2287 requires 100% recycled paper in all devices and to reduce paper consumption by at least 30%
- Physics needed to reduce our consumable costs
Available devices and Costs
These devices are distributed on the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th floors. These printers were replaced Nov/Dec 2019 as part of our MPS program.
NOTE: Color print-outs and copies should be used sparingly as these are VERY COSTLY to the department.
Printers - Locations - Models
|phys-color||Mailroom (C121)||Ricoh IMC3000||COLOR Printer/Copier/Scanner|
|phys-bw||Mailroom (C121)||Ricoh MP6503SP||B&W Printer/Copier/Scanner|
|b219-color||PAB Room B-219||
|b439-color||PAB Room B-439||Ricoh IMC2500||COLOR Printer/Copier/Scanner|
|b219-bw||PAB Room B-219||Ricoh P 800||B&W Printer|
|peg-bw||PAB C-221||Ricoh P 800||B&W Printer|
|b408-bw||PAB B-408||Ricoh P 800||B&W Printer|
|b478-bw||PAB B-478||Ricoh P 800||B&W Printer|
|c500-bw||PAB C-500||Ricoh P 800||B&W Printer|
Connecting to printers
Mac OS X
We are currently working on both CUPS based and Samba based printing for Mac OS X. Head to Mac Printing for instructions on Samba printing.
Linux Managed Workstations
The new RICOH printers should be visible from any PACS Managed Scientific Linux Workstation.
Contact PACS for help setting up printers if you are unable to do so by following the instructions in this WIKI.
Windows printing is provided by browsing to:
For step by step instructions, head to Windows Printing in this wiki.
Features of the new printing system
- Color printing, copying, and scanning
- Scan to email and folder
Scanning is automatically sent to the following file share if you select admin scan.
Scanning is sent to the following Unix folder if you select faculty/grad scan folder.
For secure printing, you will need to do a LOCK PRINT JOB (formerly RELEASE_JOBS) see instructions here.
Departmental Policies - OTHER Printers
The department now provides adequate printing/copying/scanning resources for all staff, faculty and students. If an individual still needs desk-side or lab printing, the department has the following policies:
- Faculty, staff, and students can purchase department approved networked local printers.
- Printers that are purchased that do not meet department requirements are considered a specialized need and therefore consumables are the responsibility of the individual who purchases the device. NOTE: Some grants do NOT allow the purchasing of printing/toner cartridges.
- The department will NOT provide supplies for printers that were purchased after July 1, 2012 or purchased before July 1, 2012 and are no longer under maintenance.