UW QuarkNet Cosmic Ray
This is a five day workshop for high school teachers and students during which they receive training in the use of QuarkNet's cosmic ray muon detector (CRMD), eLab and LHC master class. The eLab provides an online environment in which students, working in a research group, experience the environment of scientific collaborations in a series of investigations into high-energy cosmic rays.
- 2013 Aug 5 ~ Aug 9 - Max's blog.
- 2014 July 30 ~ Aug 1
- 2014 Oct 8 - International Cosmic Day
- 2015 Aug 17 ~ Aug 19
- 2016 Aug 15 ~ Aug 17
- 2017 Aug 14 ~ Aug 18
- Cosmic Ray Muon Detector manual [pdf] by Chunyang Ding
Lead Teacher: Rose Emanuel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
QuarkNet Staff: Mark Adams <email@example.com>
Technical Support: Steve Strausz
Workshop Documents and Links
Introduction to Cosmic Rays
- Galactic and extra-galactic cosmic rays and detectors [ pdf]
- Jeff Wilkes' talk on 8-16-2016
- Studying the Universe using Gamma Rays
- Toby Burnett's talk on 8-5-2013
- VIDEO: Ring of Truth- Phillip Morrison (PBS)- Morrison's 1987 PBS series, THE RING OF TRUTH, where in the episode "Mapping" he drives along a longitude line from border to border, demonstrating *pre-modern navigation* using Eratosthenes’ method to find latitudes, and Cassini’s tables of Jupiter’s moons to find longitude.
- Compton Cosmic Ray Studies with Electroscopes -Arthur H. Compton's organization of expeditions in the early 1930s to measure cosmic ray fluxes with uniform instrumentation (electroscopes) at many sites in the US and around the world. This article details his journeys.
- Chunyang Ding's muon text book - hands-on experiments for the CRMD
- Rooms and projectors must be booked by mentors before June
- Check lab manager's availability and ask for leaving items we usually need out and accessible (scopes, connector adapters, cables).