Bachelor's Degrees in Physics with College Honors or Distinction in Physics are available to students who are admitted to the Physics Honors Program and who complete certain requirements. The requirements of the Physics Departmental Honors Program are described below. Students in the College Honors Program must fulfill these same requirements as well as the additional requirements of the College Honors Program.
Admission to the Physics Departmental Honors Program requires:
- Registration as a physics major and provision of necessary academic records to the Department of Physics.
- Completion of at least 90 quarter hours of college work, including transfer credits.
- Completion of at least 24 quarter hours of college work in physics, including transfer credits.
- Completion of at least 12 quarter hours of physics courses at the University of Washington.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.30.
- For students who have completed less than 45 physics credits, the grade point average in University of Washington physics courses must be at least the value given by:
- Students who have completed at least 45 credits in physics must have a cumulative grade point average in physics courses of 3.30 or higher. (Physics course GPA is computed without deleting grades in repeated physics courses.)
- In the case of students re-entering the University of Washington after an absence of two or more years, at least 6 quarter hours of physics courses must be completed after re-entry.
Continuation in the Departmental Honors Program requires that the student maintain a cumulative grade point average in all UW courses of at least 3.30 and also a cumulative grade point average in physics courses of at least 3.30. A student in the Honors Program who fails to maintain these standards but achieves a grade point average of at least 2.0 in that quarter will be placed on provisional status. At the end of the next quarter the record will be reviewed. If there is evidence of satisfactory progress, the student will be continued in provisional standing. Good standing is regained once the cumulative grade point average has returned to at least 3.30 both in physics courses and in all other UW
Graduation with either Departmental Honors or College Honors in Physics requires:
- Good standing in the Physics Departmental Honors Program at the time of graduation.
- Admission to the Physics Departmental Honors Program no later than the start of the first quarter of the senior year.
- Satisfactory completion of at least 53 quarter hours in physics courses.
- Satisfactory completion of the senior honors seminar in physics (Physics 485, 486, 487).
- Completion of all the requirements of the bachelor of science degree in Physics.
Please Note: Students who are candidates for Departmental Honors should fill out the Department-Honors-Invitation form and bring it to the Academic Counselor (Margot Nims) for review and signatures.