There are three required materials for Phys 12X course:
- Access to online homework system. Many options for this are outlined below.
- Lab manual. (Note: There is not lab manual for 12X Honors courses) The lab manual is only available at the UW bookstore and will be used to fill in your lab results, so you cannot get a used one.
- Tutorial course pack. This is only available at the UW bookstore and will be used to fill in your tutorial work and tutorial homework, so you cannot use a used one.
Online Homework Access Code and Textbook Options
You will need an access code to get access to the online homework system. Read the following section carefully, as if you purchase an access code from somewhere else, it will almost certainly not work. If you took one of the Phys 12X courses in a previous quarter, and...
- you previously purchased option B, C, or D listed below within the last 2 years, then you should be able to reuse the access code required for the online homework system provided previously.
- you previously purchased option A listed below, then you will need to purchase an access code this quarter.
You will also need to do reading from the 1st edition of "Principles and Practice of Physics" by Erik Mazur, but you do not need to purchase the textbook if you have other means of doing the reading, like using a shared copy. The description of the difference between the four options listed as “Choose One” from the bookstore with titles is as follows:
A. 3 P/s Phys 121 (or 122 or 123) Only Loose Leaf Principles & Practice Of Physics (custom) W/ Mastering
B. 3 P/s Loose Leaf Principles & Practice Of Physics W/ Modified Masteringphysics
C. 3 P/s Principles & Practice Of Physics W/ Modified Masteringphysics
D. Mastering Access w/eBook for Principles & Practices of Physics - Multi Term
All options come with access to an electronic copy of the textbook for the same period as you have access to the online homework system.
Option A costs about $79, but only gives access to the online homework system for one quarter. If you plan to take another of the Phys 12X course within the next two years, then this may not be your cheapest option since you will need to purchase access again. This option also comes with a loose leaf copy of the textbook chapters used for this quarter only.
Option B costs about $150. This gives you access to the online homework system for two years, so it can be used for the other courses in the Phys 121, 122, and 123 sequence. It also gives you a loose leaf copy of the textbook used for all three quarters of Phys 121, 122, and 123.
Option C costs about $277. This is identical to option B except it comes with a hard copy of the textbook instead of a loose leaf copy.
Option D costs about $124. This is identical to option B except it does not come with a physical copy of the textbook (it does include an etext). Avoid choosing this option at the bookstore as an identical package is available directly from the publisher at slightly lower cost. During the access to the online homework system, you will be given two options, one is slightly cheaper than the bookstore option and is identical to it. The other is about half the price, but note this does not include access to Learning Catalytics and the etext (or physical textbook. You will need access to Learning Catalytics, so if you purchase this option you will need to purchase access to Learning Catalytics separately ($12 for 6-months access, and $20 for 12-months access).